Part of our Shark Truth campaign included introducing people to the many kinds of soup that can easily replace shark fin.
This work included collaborating with restaurateurs, caterers, and chefs to come up with innovative soups that reflect the event hosts (and, in some cases, the couple getting married who would usually serve shark fin soup at their banquet). Some couples chose goji berries as the star ingredient in their soup instead of shark fin, a nod to the lucky colour red and a symbol of fertility. Others used ginger to symbolize heat and spice in their relationship.
Shark Truth held a Sans Fin Soup Contest to encourage fin-free, delicious alternatives to shark fin soup. The contest featured chefs participating in a cooking competition in which seven finalists created a stunning array of fin-free soups and appetizers using sustainable, ocean-friendly ingredients.
Recipes from our Sans Fin Soup Cooking Contest:
- Abalone and Crab Soup & Fried Scallop Terrine 鮑魚蟹肉湯、炸干貝捲 | Recipe by Edmund Yee – P2B Bistro & Bar, Sans Fin Soup Star 無翅良品之星
- Ginger Duck Soup & Pan Seared BC Shrimp & Crab Cake 薑鴨湯 & 炒BC蝦 & 蟹餅 | Recipe by Tom Lee – Edible Canada at the Market, People’s Choice Soup 最高人氣湯品
- Sans Fin Soup & Seafood Sampler 無翅湯 & 海鮮拼盤 | Recipe by William Tse – Sandbar, Harry’s Favourite 哈利的最愛
- Faux Sharks Fin Bisque & Geoduck Combination Platter 仿魚翅濃湯 & 象拔蚌拼盤 | Recipe by Todd Bright – Wild Rice
- Shark’s Fin Melon Cannellini Beans Soup & Chilled Tofu 魚翅瓜意大利白豆湯 & 凍豆腐 | Recipe by Ben Lai 黎健斌
- Triple Chicken Ham Stock Consommé & Drunken Chicken Rillette 三味雞肉火腿清湯 & 醉雞肉醬 | Recipe by Montgomery Lau – Westin Wall Centre
- Golden Bridge Soup & Smoked Vegetarian Goose 喜鵲度金橋燉湯 & 素齋鵝 | Recipe by John Mok 莫同進