In February 2021, in light of the COVID-19 Pandemic, hua foundation partnered with Chinatown Today and Chau Luen Athletics Group to host “An Ox-picious Vancouver Chinatown Lunar New Year: Until the Cows Come Home” over Zoom. This collaborative effort was pulled together in nine days upon realizing that there was not going to be a virtual event in lieu of the annual Chinatown parade to celebrate Lunar New Year. The event included pre-recorded lion dancing and kung fu demonstrations, a short Cantonese lesson, and a live dumpling eating competition. The event was live-streamed online with simultaneous interpretation in American Sign Language, Cantonese, and Mandarin.
This event would not have been possible without: Mah’s Athletic Club, Marquis Lung Northern Shaolin Kung Fu Academy, Wong Sheung Kung Fu Club, Tibetan Lama Martial Arts of Vancouver, The Cantonese Project, and Kam Wai Dim Sum.
We are grateful to the City of Vancouver’s Chinatown Transformation Team, the Chinese Benevolent Association, and the Chinese Cultural Centre of Greater Vancouver for their support.
In the media:
- 13 February 2021 — CBC: Lunar New Year festivities go online to welcome the Year of the Ox
- 12 February 2021 — CBC: Vancouver News at 6 clip
- 12 February 2021 — CBC: Radio As It Happens (19:03)
- 12 February 2021 — CBC Early Edition: Lions Dance goes online for seniors during Lunar New Year
- 9 February 2021 — Vancouver Sun: Families find news ways of celebrating Lunar New Year traditions
Interested in learning more about our work Chinatown? Click here: https://huafoundation.org/work/chinatown/